A Brief History...Calumet Specialty Products Partners, L.P. is a leading independent refiner of high quality specialty hydrocarbon products and fuel products in North America. The company operates 11 facilities in seven states with an aggregate production capacity of nearly 160,000 barrels per day. Calumet's lubricating oils, solvents, waxes, high-purity white oils, asphalts, and fuels are used to develop some of the world's best and most trusted brands.
With origins that date back to 1916, Calumet has experienced a rich history and proudly delivered the highest quality products and services for nearly a century.
- 1919 – Calumet Refining Company was officially formed in Burnham, Illinois to manufacture medicinal white oils and package lubrication products.
- 1951 – New offices in Burnham, Illinois were constructed.
- 1953 – The Calumet refinery in Princeton, Louisiana was constructed. Calumet Princeton Refining is specifically focused on the production of naphthenic crude oil into high quality specialty products including base oils, process oils, and asphalts.
- 1956 – The Calumet Packaging Facility on Western Ave. in Chicago, IL was vacated.
- 1956 – The final existing distillation unit at Calumet's Burnham facility was refurbished, eliminating all crude primary units, and maintaining the final distillation unit for specialty distillates only. All lubricant base stocks were to be refined at Calumet Princeton Refining, with the Burnham facility converted to a terminal for distribution.
- 1987 – Calumet Princeton Refining installed a hydrotreater called the Hydrocal Unit.
- 1989 – Calumet Refining Company and its assets were listed for sale by the Calumet Industries Board of Directors.
- 1990 – The company is purchased by The Heritage Group and renamed Calumet Lubricants Co., Limited Partnership and corporate headquarters are moved to Indianapolis, Indiana.
- 1995 – Calumet purchased the Kerr-McGee Corporation refinery in Cotton Valley, Louisiana. Calumet Cotton Valley Refining is the only refinery in the United States that is solely focused on the development and production of specialty aliphatic solvents.
- 2001 – Calumet purchased the Pennzoil refinery in Shreveport, Louisiana. Calumet Shreveport Refining is responsible for the production of specialty lubricating oils and waxes, as well as gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel.
- 2006 – Calumet Specialty Products Partners, L.P. was offered $141 million of common unit through its Initial Public Offering, and listed on The NASDAQ Stock Market under the ticker symbol CLMT.
- 2008 – Calumet acquired Penreco and all associated assets from ConocoPhillips and M.E. Zuckerman & Co. This included two production facilities; one in Karns City, Pennsylvania and one in Dickinson, Texas. Calumet Penreco, LLC is responsible for the production of USP white oils, USP petrolatums, solvents, gelled hydrocarbons, cable fillers, and natural petroleum sulfonates.
- 2011 – Calumet purchased the Murphy Oil Corporation refinery in Superior, Wisconsin. Calumet Superior Refining develops gasoline, diesel, asphalt, and other heavy fuel oils.
- 2012 – Royal Purple, LLC located in Porter, Texas was acquired by Calumet. Royal Purple is a leading producer of high quality lubricating oils and specialty products with various industrial and commercial uses.
- 2012 – Calumet purchased Montana Refining Company, Inc., located in Great Falls, Montana from Connacher Oil and Gas Limited. Calumet Montana Refining produces gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel as well as asphalt products.
- 2012 – Calumet acquired TruSouth Oil, LLC, a specialty petroleum packaging and distribution facility located in Shreveport, Louisiana. The company was re-named Calumet Packaging.
- 2012 – The Hercules Synthetic Lubricant business in Louisiana, Missouri was acquired from Hercules Incorporated, a subsidiary of Ashland, Inc. Calumet Louisiana Synthetics is responsible for the production of polyol esters for use in various aviation and refrigeration applications.
- 2013 – Calumet purchased the NuStar Energy, L.P. refinery, and all associated assets, located in San Antonio, Texas. Calumet San Antonio Refining produces jet fuel, diesel, other fuel products, as well as various solvents.
- 2013 – In a joint venture with MDA Resources, Inc., Calumet broke ground on Dakota Prairie Refining, LLC in Dickinson, North Dakota. This is the first greenfield oil refinery built in the United States since 1976.
- 2013 – Calumet Louisiana Synthetics broke ground on a capital improvement project that will add 25,000 ft2 to the facility and increase production capacity.
Moving forward, Calumet will continue to develop resources that will provide the highest possible value to our customers, our shareholders, and our employees. We continually seek to innovate and deliver nothing but excellence in specialty hydrocarbon products.