Improving How the World Works Around Us
At Calumet, we intend to be an efficient and reliable operator while also being environmentally responsible. Being at the forefront of technological advances means that, over the years, we have developed numerous products that focus on quality, safety and biodegradability.
This includes eco-friendly alternatives that do not sacrifice performance benefits:
Royal Purple® BioMax™ marine lubricants are readily biodegradable, have low toxicity and low bioaccumulation, and feature biorenewable materials, in addition to providing superior lubrication and protection for equipment.
CalEster T™ is a lubricant base product derived from renewable sources and is on the EU Lubricant Substance Classification list (LuSC list).*
Calumet asphalt is 100 percent recyclable in both paving and roofing applications, resulting in no future GHG release into the atmosphere.
Calumet solvents used in paints and coatings are California and EPA LVP-VOC compliant.
Orchex® Agricultural Spray Oils offer superior protection to crops from pests, diseases and weeds without harming humans. Calumet is on the federal taskforce to ensure honeybee pollinators are safe.
Calumet produces ultra-low sulfur gasoline (tier 3) that is 80 percent lower than the allowable EPA restriction.
*The EU Lubricant Substance Classification list (LuSC list) is a list of substances and brands that have been assessed for sustainability.
Minimizing Our Impact on the Environment
Calumet’s efforts to prioritize and protect the environment are focused on tracking and reducing energy consumption and air emissions (greenhouse gases), water management and conservation as well as non-hazardous waste generation.
As a result of Calumet’s investment and continuous improvement efforts, all of our facilities are improving environmental performance, but Shreveport (our largest facility) has made step change improvement in all areas of environmentally sound operation.
Committed to Excellence and Guided by Our Values
Calumet is committed to sustainability and clearly focused on the responsible use of natural resources in our daily business. As such, wherever technically feasible in the production of our specialty products, we consider and utilize renewable feedstocks and ingredients where appropriate. Some of these examples include:
- CalEster™ industrial lubricant products are produced from certified renewable organic acids.
- TitanWax™ candle blends are formulated with plant-based waxes.
- Versagel® SQ uses an Ecocert certified squalane derived from sugar cane.
Reducing Waste by Recycling, Reusing, and Reclaiming
Across Calumet’s facilities, we have numerous ways of converting our waste products into usable raw materials for ourselves and other users. This is so important to us that it is written into our policies and procedures.
- Petrosul (sulfonate) and Sodium Bisulfite (SBS) are byproducts of our manufacturing of white oils through acid treating. We have found alternative uses for these waste streams in metalworking applications and water treatment.
- Many of our manufacturing processes include recyclable chemicals such as isopropyl alcohol, chloroform distillation and oleum. We even supply our waste of spent caustic to help mining companies to treat and neutralize acidic waste.
- Carbon sequestration in specialty asphalt, which is recyclable, has 97 percent lower GHG emissions compared to industry coking process.**
**Ramboll US Corporation, April 7, 2021, Great Falls Refinery Asphalt Sustainability Strategy, [PowerPoint slides].